Thursday, January 24, 2013

Literary Litany

You are the strength and the power,
the laughter and the smile.
You are the caregiver
and the love.
You are the kind,
and the sincere.

However, you are not calm,
You are crazy,
or sometimes psycho.
And you are certainly not easy to deal with at times.
There is just no way that you are easy.

It is possible that you are the listener,
maybe even the family counselor,
but you are not even close
to being patient.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither simple
nor complex.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I am much like you.

I also happen to be the laughter,
smile
and caregiver.

I am also the impatient
and the crazy.
But don't worry; I'm not the strength and the love.
You are still the strength and the love that brings our family together.
You will always be the strength and the love,
not to mention the mom and--somehow--the best friend.

5 comments:

  1. I wrote mine about my mom too. Ours are rather similar in that way. Using very 'motherly' type terms....

    I expected this assignment to much more difficult, but once I targeted who I was going to be talking about how easy it was to think of traits that fit right into the "mad lib".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good, made me laugh:) You must be close to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the most powerful part was waiting for some sort of distinct different between the mom and the child. It upset my expectations in a good way when there's the admission that they share traits. On a technical note, you rely quite a bit on literal rather than figurative descriptions. If you had to, what COMPARISONS would you make? These wouldn't have to make sense to a reader, as long as they made sense of spoke of the person you know her to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this leena! I thought it was really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leena,
    I really enjoyed this, I too am close with my mother and there were things in your poem that I could relate to. My favorite line was when you stated you were much like her! Very good Poem! :)

    ReplyDelete